Bahamian Crab and Rice Recipe
- 5 white land crabs or 7 black land crabs, cleaned, segmented, fat removed
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil or corn oil
- 1 white onion or yellow onion, finely diced
- 2½ tablespoons dried thyme
- 1½ teaspoons salt
- 1½ teaspoons fresh ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon seasoning salt
- ½ scotch bonnet pepper, finely chopped with or w/out seeds (optional)
- ½ cup tomato paste
- 5 cups hot water
- 2 cups parboiled long-grain rice or 2½ cups long-grain rice
- Wash live crabs under the tap using a toothbrush to wash sand from under band and from between toes until completely clean.
- Turn crab with eyes away, upside down, slipping a blunt knife (a butter knife is ideal) between the shell's seam, push upward to separate the crab's shell in two.
- Be careful not to push the knife too far (the gall sac is in the direct path of the knife!).
- Pull apart.
- Scoop the fat from both sides of the shell into a bowl using the knife or a spoon.
- Discard the empty half shell, band, mouth, gills and all other remaining internal organs, leaving behind the toes of the crab.
- Break the two segments in half by holding each half securely and snapping apart.
- This can also be done by chopping the segment with a cleaver.
- Wash the toe segments under the tap and put them in the bowl with the fat.
- This process is to be repeated until each crab is processed.
- Place a large pot over medium high heat, adding the vegetable/corn oil.
- Allow the oil to heat until a drop of water sizzles when dripped in the oil.
- Add onion, salt, black pepper, seasoned salt, thyme, Scotch bonnet, and stir.
- Saute ingredients until onion is transparent, stirring constantly, about 3 to five minutes.
- Add crab fat and segments, saute, stirring constantly until fat is liquid, about 7 minutes.
- Add tomato paste, stir ingredients together for another 5 minutes.
- Add water.
- Stir ingredients with the water, taste, adjust salt to taste, bring to a slow simmer.
- Gently pour rice into pot, stirring slowly to ensure even distribution of the rice in the liquid.
- Turn heat down to low and cover pot with a tight-fitting lid to prevent steam from escaping.
- Cook for about 20 – 25 minutes or until all of the liquid is absorbed.
- Do not lift lid while cooking.
- Turn heat off and let rice stand covered for 5 minutes or until liquid is absorbed.
- Fluff and serve hot.
Dont Forget To Join Our Facebook Group For More Delicous Recipes
You may also like
You have to Sign-In to do this operation.