African Chicken Pie Recipe
- 5 lb stewing or roasting hen
- 1 large onion (peeled, quartered)
- 6 whole allspice
- 4 whole cloves
- ¼ tsp mace
- 1 tsp salt
- 6 peppercorns
- ½ lb ham (cubed)
- 3 cups water
- ½ cup white wine
- ¼ cup cream of wheat
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 hard-boiled eggs (sliced)
- 1 recipe puff pastry (see below)
- 1 egg - beat with 1 tbsp water and use as coating for pastry
- In a large pot or Dutch oven, place chicken, onion, allspice, cloves, mace, salt, and peppercorns.
- Add 3 cups of water and bring all to a boil.
- Lower the heat, cover and simmer until tender - one to two hours.
- Then place chicken on a platter to cool.
- Strain out spices and save 3 cups chicken stock.
- When chicken is cool, debone chicken and cut into 1-inch pieces and throw the skin away.
- Next, make the sauce as follows: add wine to chicken stock, bring to a boil and slowly add cream of wheat.
- Reduce heat to low, stir constantly until thickens.
- In a small bowl, mix together egg yolks and lemon juice.
- Stir 3 to 4 tbsp of sauce into yolks and then add yolk mixture to sauce.
- Bring to a boil for one minute.
- Then remove from heat.
- Place ½ deboned the chicken in a baking dish, scatter chopped ham on top, then place a row of egg slices.
- Redo above and then pour sauce over the two layers.
- Make top puff pastry as follows: cut ¼ lb sweet butter into two cups of flour until it is the consistency of pie dough.
- Add 4 to 6 tbsp water and knead into a ball.
flour a board and roll out with a floured rolling pin as you would pie dough.
- Place on top of baking dish and pinch edges.
- Brush top with water and egg mixture.
- Bake at 400 °F for 15 minutes, reduce heat to 350 °F and bake for 45 minutes.
Dont Forget To Join Our Facebook Group For More Delicous Recipes
You may also like
You have to Sign-In to do this operation.